It has become more common every year for KOAs to offer golf cart rentals, and it can be common for campers to bring their own personal golf carts onto the campground property. The enjoyment factor of golf carts may be obvious, but there are many other benefits as well.
Renting or allowing golf carts can be an additional source of revenue for the campground. They can make it easier to use your additional services, such as a restaurant or store. Finally, they can allow you to not worry about sites being too far from the bathroom, pool, or other amenities.
The benefits of golf carts notwithstanding, Merriam Insurance recommends you take the proper precautions to protect yourself and your campground:
- Require a valid driver’s license when renting out carts
- Issue a permit and require it to be visible on the cart at all times, if campers are bringing their own carts
- Execute a signed written agreement between the golf cart renter and the campground
- Ensure that the lessee and operator(s) of the golf cart are a minimum of 21 years old
- Golf carts operated after sunset should always have their lights turned on and should never be operated during quiet hours
- Horseplay, racing, or other misuse of golf carts should never be tolerated
- Golf carts should remain on campground property at all times and should only be operated on campground roadways
- Golf cart rentals should be returned at the designated time
- Golf carts should never carry more than the maximum number of passengers allowed
- Request that your guests report any malfunctions to management immediately
- Anyone found abusing the regulations of a rental golf cart should forfeit all rental privileges
Whether your KOA campground allows guests to bring and operate their own personal golf carts, or whether your campground provides golf carts for rental, it can be a great way to enhance their stay at your campground. Contact a Merriam Insurance agent today to discuss how we can help protect your KOA from a potentially devastating claim.
Latest posts by James Dick, CPCU, AAI (see all)
- Buying a House? What You Need to Know about Homeowner’s Insurance - March 18, 2019
- How to Be a Good Board Member - February 28, 2019
- Service Line Coverage: What You Need to Know - February 21, 2019