We all love the magic of Halloween. Whether it be trick-or-treating, going to costume parties, or making a trip to a neighborhood haunted house, the season makes everyone feel like a child again. For parents, however, there is often a fine line between Halloween fun and Halloween worries, especially when it comes to road and personal safety.
To ensure adults have peace of mind, and children have a safe holiday, Merriam Insurance recommends you follow this list of suggested Halloween safety tips:
- A responsible adult should accompany young children on the neighborhood rounds
- If your older children are going alone, plan, review, and agree upon an acceptable route. Be sure your children understand that they are to never cross streets between cars. They should always cross the street at a corner.
- Agree on a specific time your children should return home
- Remind your children to never enter a stranger’s home or car, and to not approach a house that has its porch lights off, indicating they are not participating in the evening’s festivities.
- Instruct children to travel only in familiar, well-lit areas and stay in a group with their friends
- Tell your children to not eat any treats until they return home
- All costumes should be fire-resistant
- Avoid wearing masks that obstruct vision or long garments that can become a tripping hazard.
- Fasten reflective tape to costumes and bags or provide glow sticks.
- Ensure all make-up is nontoxic. Always test for allergic reactions in a small area first
- Remove all makeup before children go to bed.
Merriam Insurance also reminds you to keep the use of electronic devices to a minimum while you are out in the neighborhoods. Stay alert! If it appears a situation is developing that makes you uncomfortable, alert the authorities and return home as quickly as possible. Contact us today to learn more.
Halloween Safety On and Off the Road
Rich is most passionate about helping people understand the important benefits of working with an independent broker such as the Merriam Insurance Agency. It is his mission to ensure clients know where they can gain access to everything they would need, should the unthinkable happen.
When he's not working, Rich enjoy's spending time with his two teenage children and their golden retriever Alfred.
Schenectady, New York
(877) MERRIAM x 212
(877) 637-7426 x 212