This notice applies specifically to our personal and commercial insurance customers who are based in New York State.
April 9, 2020
We hope that this message finds you and your family safe and healthy.
In these are difficult times the New York Legislature and Department of Financial Services have been implementing emergency measures in an effort to protect insurance policyholders who have been hit with financial hardship because of the COVID-19 pandemic. The regulations they enacted include: the waiver of late fees; the prohibition on reporting negative data to credit reporting agencies; and the repayment of late premiums over a 12-month period. These changes apply to most policyholders, but specifically exempt Commercial Lines policies written on an Excess & Surplus Lines basis.
If you have been impacted by this pandemic, this means help may be available.
• If you can demonstrate that you’re unable to make a timely premium payment due to financial hardship because of the COVID-19 pandemic, you may pay such premium over a 12-month period.
• If your policy is financed through a premium finance agency, they must provide a grace period before cancelling your policy for late payment of an installment if you can demonstrate financial hardship because of the COVID-19 pandemic. This grace period will be 60 days for a property/casualty policy; 90 days for a life insurance policy. You will be given a 12-month period to pay the missed installment, and the premium finance agency may not impose late fees or report you to any credit reporting agency or debt collector because of that installment.
You may prove hardship by submitting a written attestation to the insurance company or premium finance agency regarding your financial hardship resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic. More information can be found on the New York State Department of Financial Services website by following this link: https://www.dfs.ny.gov/consumers/coronavirus
If you have any questions about this or your policy, don’t hesitate to contact our team. We’re proud to continue helping you protect what matters most.
Brian H. Merriam, CPCU, ARM, AAI
- Notice for NYS Policyholders – COVID-19 Premium Payments - April 8, 2020
- Buying a House? What You Need to Know about Home Insurance - May 2, 2019
- Cyber Crime Now Affects Everyone - April 15, 2019